Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Railroading shrine in Central MN

You gotta love small town America, where individuals often demonstrate their passions for activities/hobbies in their yards. I regularly pass this shrine to railroading when I drive through Waite Park, MN. For me it invokes childhood memories of riding the old Northern Pacific (NP) Railway as my dad Mac, in his early years, was a claims adjuster for NP. This meant we, as a family, traveled frequently via train. Who doesn't have the childhood memories of (1) flushing the toilet on the train and seeing the tracks whiz (no pun intended) by below, (2) navigating the moving and noisy floor when moving between cars, (3) drinking water from the small white paper cups, (4) sitting in the Vista Dome, (5) wearing the cardboard railroad hats the conductors would give kids, etc.


I think I need to plan a train trip.


No comments: