Friday, May 23, 2008

Coffee computer


When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Over a year ago I spilled a cup of coffee on the keyboard of my Sony Vaio laptop computer. The computer worked fine, but the keyboard was useless. So...what to do? I simply took a cheap external keyboard and mouse and plugged them into the USB ports. I attached the external keyboard on top of the laptops keyboard with Velcro. The above picture is the result. Although no longer my primary computer, and also not a mobile computer, my "coffee computer" now sits on my desk as a secondary computer devoted to certain functions.

I use the hard drive of the coffee computer as a place to back-up files from my primary working notebook computer. I also have my high-speed scanner hooked to this machine so I can have it scanning documents while I'm working on my primary computer. I also use it for email when my primary computer is in the middle of other tasks and I don't want to exit the tasks/programs.

Kind of geek-ish...but effective.

No comments: